Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society : A Review

What a delight !!!!! I just got up after reading this book and I have to say that it was a one of those which leaves a smile lingering on your face long afterward.

Placed around World War II this book brings to life the horrors of the war time and the bravery of the people who lived through it. Set as a series of letter, between the narrator and the other characters, this book manages to be funny while tantalizing those "tear glands"

At the end of the book, I swear I feel like I personally know all the characters and the place "Guernsey Island". And the best part - I have that "rare" feeling of satisfaction at the "end", which is so rare with a book.

Often great books fall short of being really "great" due to the ending, but this one ... Nay! not this one.

On a day of leisure, where you want to curl up and pick a "feel good" book, choose this one... with a mug of coffee next to you, sipping away, drown yourself into these pages......... you will find yourself sighing, sniffling and smiling....

No comments: