Pages

Friday, July 06, 2012

A Buffet Lunch @ Malabar Hills, Elmsford


A lunch with your old colleagues is always a delight.. given of course, you liked them at the first place. I meet my old colleagues once a month at restaurants around the office area. Of course, the number of folks getting together seems to be getting smaller with each meeting, some leaving for another job, some retiring.. sigh!

So  for the last few times, we have been exploring Indian restaurants nearby. Perhaps by the virtue of me being Indian, I qualify well (amongst the acquaintances) to be  “the Indian” food connoisseur.

So this time around, we ended up in Malabar Hills, Elmsford, NY.

The décor of the place is nothing extra ordinary, in fact quiet on contrary; nothing about the place stands out. Of course, while I appreciate the ease of parking (A plus in Westchester), I would not choose this place for a romantic night out with my other half.. .. but on the other hand, I think it is perfect for a lunch with colleagues or friends. 

And the food… well, let’s put it this way.. it is one of my favorite Indian restaurants in Westchester County for buffet, which is saying a lot, since I am not particularly huge fan of buffet. I have always held on to the idea that the buffet food screams of similar tasting items, lined together for the newly exploring taste buds.Yes Yes! I am biased, but there have been very few buffets which have evoked any other opinion from me.

However, at around $11 per buffet, the good thing about Malabar Hill buffet is that each item seemed to have a distinct individualism. The Sambar (and I am a stickler for this, since my mom makes the most amazing one) and the idlly, were pretty good, dosa’s not bad either. Cabbage Subzi, Cholle, Saag Paneer and Kheer which are the usual buffet items in any Indian restaurant were well made and distinct in their tastes as well. However, my favorite was perhaps the onion pakoda’s (Onion Fritters) and yes! I know fried stuff always tastes good…. However, you would be surprised how many can taste rancid if not made fresh. .

I think the buffet is reasonably priced, however, I do balk at the prices if ordering for individual dishes. I think they are  pricey, but I guess Indian food always is….!! So, if you are not an Indian, or do not make Indian food at home, and do not mind paying for dishes which you really want to choose and eat, this is a reasonably good place as any (much better than Royal Palace, Passage to India, Mughal Palace)

So, Another buffet lunch meet up in Malabar hills? Sure, bring it on, I am game!!

No comments: