Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Laptop - Busy look

Have you ever been in meetings where everyone is trying to do a couple of things the same time, balancing one delicate topic with other, trying to figure out answers simultaneously?

I find myself constantly at these kind of meetings, sometimes I am truly handling a few things together and sometimes I am just trying to look “Busy”. Is this attitude good? I dunno, but I do know makes me feel a little better when I am hunched up in front of laptop (like the rest of the crowd) typing away to glory while listening to another person talk.

My laptop has almost become compulsive habit. I go to my office, shrug my jacket off and open my laptop before heading out to do any actual work. The first hour in the morning is totally devoted to checking emails, replying to them and just getting into groove.

The ironical thing about this obsession of mine is that my work is not actually computer related. Of course, I just started on mask design and vending, but that just forms 20 % of my workload, but mostly I do not need to be near my laptop to work.

However, without checking my email every hour I feel completely disconnected (inspite of having an IP phone in my office), isolated, torn away from the known world. May be it comes from the fact that as soon as my office door closes, I am alone in the room facing the walls and the books? Or maybe it is just something all the engineers feel? Or perhaps it is just me, I constantly need someone to be around me (not talking really, but just be there around) and in office, it is my laptop which fills this void of mine!

Well, for most it is simpler to hunch up in front of laptop and the world thinks work is in works :)

4 comments:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i am addicted to internet....if its not my own laptop, even a public computer would do.....the other day we were in Circuit City, or was it Best Buy..regardless, Arka was looking at GPS devices and since i hate anything to do with decisions regarding tech. (Fie on me!!! i am an engineer, at least on paper :D) i decided to login to their systems and surf....i am sure, the staff would not have appreciated it but i simply HAD to!!!!

The last adam said...

well, my desktop replaces ur laptop but the rest of the story is the same...and like Moi I cant see much use to my desktop other than surfing the net ;)

read somewhere...nerds of a feather rock together :D

Jas B said...

We all are deep into our email/net/laptop addictions, God save us all. :)

Ekta said...

haha...welcome to world of the genX!
Wer all obsessed with these gadgets whether its laptops / mobiles etc and Yes i was pretty much like u..my first job kept me busy with tonnes of mails..
But things have slowed down a bit now...I dont miss my laptop as much as I used to now...so hopefully thats a good sign!