Pages

Friday, November 02, 2007

Snow Flower and Secret fan- thoughts

As I turned each page of “Snow flower and secret fan” I felt emotions welling up inside me. It was difficult not to associate with some characters in 19th century china. The foot-binding was a saga new to me and I found myself fascinated by the things done in name of beauty. The book describes in detail the procedure of foot-binding and your heart goes out to “third sister” whose cries for “mercy” and “ I won’t do it” are left unheard resulting to her eventual death. .

It is amazing how a woman is always the worst adversary of another woman. I cannot understand how a woman who has personally known the pain and hurt of foot binding, put her own daughter through the very same trails. Isn’t a mother supposed to be your sieve for all things painful in your life? Isn’t a mother supposed to nurse and protect her young one?

Life for a woman must have been an entirely different thing, her very existence depending on them having “sons”. A child bearing vassal is what she was in true terms. A woman’s world not her own but spun intricately around men’s, made to accommodate the desires of “their men”. Yes, indeed life was different!

But inspite of such trails, the same 19th century women find their own way of rebellion –Nu Shu, the women’s secret language. I thought it was in it’s own an attempt at making their own independence self-felt. The fact that Nu-Shu had nothing to do with men’s existence but everything to do with women’s itself describes the radical nature of it. The fact that woman were not allowed to “literate” themselves, yet choose their own way to do so… choose their way to speak with the rest of their kind.. away from the prying eyes of the world in general.. makes you realize that the oppressed are not truly so.. the caged birds always find a way to flutter !!!!

3 comments:

Yoda said...

If it makes you feel any better, men are trapped in this cycle too. Its an endless race to get richer/stronger whatever that is to get the 'fitter' women. (evolutionary speak)

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

a beautiful post, Aparna. the post in a very strange way reminds me of the emotions I went through while reading a vastly different, Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" ...i could not separate the oppressor from the oppressed in the book...it's intriguing how they are always bound together, sometimes even reversing roles without even being cognizant of it.

and i am done with my thesis..successfully defended :)

Dreamer said...

@ Yoda
Agreed... itz always a race everywhere... with everyone!
@Moi...
I have never read tht one.. I will, but for now my reading list has "Wild Swans" on it next!

Well.. so what next after thesis? :)