Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

A first tryst with Gardening


Back at home, while we were growing up, we lived in a pseudo farm house, where my mom was deeply involved with Gardening and all things associated. We got most of our veggies from the garden and our lawn – Oh! it was so lush, green, filled with flowering plants... an paradise onto itself.

However, looking back, I realize that though I savored in the benefits of having a mom with green thumb rather readily, I myself never took to playing around in the mud, planting or growing those every so amazing flowers.

Nahh! A typical teen, I just enjoyed myself without a thought at the hard work behind it.

Now, looking at the sorry state of our new digs, we decided to do something about it. So off, we went to HOME DEPOT, our current favorite store and had a discussion with one of the lawn experts there. The net result: Acknowledgement that our lawn probably needs a lotta TLC this year without receiving the benefits of the basking in green.

We are now proud owners of a spreader, pruning scissors, garden rake and a bag of deweeder plus fertilizer.

Armed with these, we decided to physically dig out some of the Dandelions, chickweeds, before we use the de-weeder and fertilizer.. so off we went digging, me with my hat, S with his cap… and R (our 1 year old) walking/falling/ohhing/ahhing along our side.

And then came the turn of pruning, my mom (who is here with us for a few days) showed us how to prune.. so click click click went our pruning scissors . and by 4 pm in evening, we had just finished pruning the plants at one end of the house.. the other 3 sides still remained. But gosh, the side where we worked, did look much better than when we started on it… worth the effort we spend there. Makes me actually look forward to next weekend, when we finally put in de-weeder on the lawn and prune rest of the plants around the house.

So herez to the first step in many more to come : our first day at Gardening, 4/15/2012

No comments: