Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Vs IPad 2

I am in the process of buying my mom a tablet. And her requirements are rather simple: Ability to browse, download pictures from emails and camera, do simple picture manipulations, skype, Google video chat, watch videos, WiFi.

Given the price tag of $499 for the new IPAD (ipad 3?), and that the key difference between the two versions being the retina display, I think that IPAD 2 at $399 may actually be a good option for her.

However, the fact that you still can't remove the battery, there's no HDMI out port, and no expanding the storage with an SD card, makes Galaxy Tab 10.1 very tempting. The built in stereo system, in build GPS, most importantly the easy transfer of data between SD card and windows PC makes Galaxy very attractive for the given needs

I will be the first to admit, I am not tab junkie, I have very little knowledge when it comes to tab. I use Kindle (and AHEM! Love it! .. ) and for mail etc, use my laptop or my phone (an Android based one).. so perhaps my confusion stems from the fact that I hardly have used IPAD/IPhone the way it ought to be .. real extensively.. my limited experience with these devices have been for listening to music, browsing.. which I think I can do as effectively else where in android based application.

And of course the price parity does nothing— the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and iPad 2 each cost $400 (as of March 2012) — and hence the additional dilemma.

But again, the fact that half the world and one very good friend of mine, Kanishk, is such a HUGE fan of IPAD leads me to lean a bit towards the IPAD.

Well, the conflict is on.. at this point the scores are as follows:

Galaxy tab : 1 / Ipad 2: 1.25


UPDATE: Based on further analysis and a strong recommendation from my friend Kanishk just ordered the IPAD.. . now waiting to see my mom's reaction to it

1 comment:

Kanishk | कनिष्क said...

This post was screaming out loud at me to comment.
Here are my 2 cents...which probably value a lot more than that :)
- Never underestimate your Mom!
- Do not underestimate iPad....it stimulates creativity and makes the user to figure out its more uses
- Forget about hardware specs and focus on user experience and simplicity of design.
- Remember the time when your mom bought something for you, which was not the best available, but a compromise...? I guess that never happened.! Then shouldn't you get her the best?
- Read this post on GigaOm..
http://gigaom.com/apple/the-joy-of-ipad/comment-page-2/