Pages

Friday, August 25, 2006

Those school days!

“Pinafore, double plaits, socks pulled up and red ribbons” are the first things which come to my mind when I think of my school. It evokes the memories of the best of times and the worst of times.

It was in school I was first made to realize I was a dark skinned Indian (and somehow that belittled me in eyes of some of those “fair skinned ones). It was there when I first realized that studies came easily to me. My love for reading went from strength to strength in those school years.

Being always a teacher’s pet made me an eyesore for many. I was considered what you may call nerd, I still made some great friends and still managed to turn out “OK” (atleast I hope so).

Having an Army background allowed me to have a variety in schools. I met different kinds of people from different walks of life, some of whom I cared for deeply, some whom I didn’t. I learn to be nonchalant about people saying crap about you and I learned to appreciate friends and friendship better.

I still don’t know if I was a very likable person in school… but I was in peace with myself and that I think could be counted as a good thing. Of course, I had my days of “Oh lord help me” but then they would sweep away equally fast!

I loved ribbons on my hair, I liked to dream about some day meeting someone who would actually see the “true me”, I had the most vivid imagination and thought the world was mine. I was fat then but it never bothered me, I was confident about myself. The worrying about gaining weight came in only later, but those years I was blissfully unaware that world liked thin, svelte females.

Unfortunately I wasn’t one of those “popular” kids, I secretly wished I was.. however, my pride held me back from changing myself to fit in the crowd. Today I am glad of it. There are many things in my past which I would like to go back and change but my school days are certainly not one of them. Popular or not I loved those days and would happily go back to them without a second thought!

5 comments:

Twisted DNA said...

"my pride held me back from changing myself to fit in the crowd"
That may not be pride. That may be your sense of judgement. People who don't fit into the crowd are the people who blaze trails!

By the way you are tagged :) Check my blog

Ekta said...

hey,
lovely post and its really nice to know that u wldnt want to change who u really were!
Kudos for enjoying what and who u really are!

Ekta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

ooh..u reminded me of the golden days...i was in boarding school for 5 yrs and everytime some one talks abt school i get reminded of those 5 yrs which were one of the craziest phases of my life!!
I was such a brat that Id hate a kid like myself now!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

as they say nostalgia's seductive......school days tho long gone by wud always be the precious most......some how college was such a disaster for moi that school days seem even more precious :)