Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The precious need for approval

I had always believed that opinion of only one person mattered to me – my hubby. But today I realized that it may not be true.

For the long weekend we are off to Florida, and I decided to go and shop for a dress or two (I have never had a sundress/ summer dress, so I thought let me finally have that piece in my wardrobe). So I went with my new found friend/neighbor to mall and ended up buying three things…. None of which won my hubby’s approval.

On one hand I want him to be frank with me, on the other I want him to like my choices! We obviously have very different tastes in clothing and there is no mid way for us. So when he said “No” thrice in a row…. I like a balloon which lost itz air midway through itz flight.

Then I realized that all I want is for him to feel proud of me when we meet his closest friends in Flordia. I know I am being unfair to him as I write this ‘coz he has always been the best and shows in more ways than one of how he cherishes me.

Ours was a love marriage and we had our difficulties in finally winning the precious nod of approval from the family members. In India, his relatives made it more than evident about how they thought “he could have done so much better for himself”, while mine kept telling me that “you are a lucky gal”. I just want someone to tell him that he is lucky too………….. I know it is silly, but I can’t help wishing that someone would come up and only once tell him verbally that he is lucky too.

I know this is sheer vanity on my part..... but am I so bad? In his eyes I can see the love he harbors for me and I know that we both are lucky to have found each other. This by itself should be enough for me but I find that somewhere in my heart I seek approval from someone else as well (someone close to him).


You may wonder what this has to do with my shopping trip or anything… well, I had thought that I had banished this need for “approval” down to the dungeons of my thoughts (where it truly belongs). But today out of blue it held me captive yet again and I found myself thinking “hmmm.. mabbe this time (hopefully) someone may think that he is lucky to have me”.

I am scared that this will someday in future lead to sheer complications in the relationship. But how do I stop myself from thinking all this crap. Trust me I have tried, I manage to shoo the thoughts away, but sometimes this wanting just grips me so hard that it leaves me breathless.

I know I am wrong, I know that I don’t need anyone to tell him anything. I am confident of his love for me, I bask in it….. but yet why do I put myself through this??? WHY?

8 comments:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

:) give me his phone no. : i shall do it for ya :) :) i promise :)
and lay it on real thick :)

"just-married" blues, eh????

take good care! :)
and hey u coming to which parts of Florida???

Twisted DNA said...

Damn, I was thinking of saying the exact same thing "moi" said. Give me his phone number :)

But really, from your writing I can say that you are a very rational person who can think straight. It is very rare to find such person! Believe me, I looked so hard for one (I found only one so I grabbed on to her:)

On the other hand, You both have been throgh a lot. For him to go through such difficulties for you, imagine the love, the respect he had for you! I am sure he will never disapprove of you as a person.

Wonderful post. Loved reading it.

mommyof2 said...

I so understand your feeling. You just want people to see what you see & feel. Both of You feel lucky to have each other then why people tell Only you that you are lucky to have him. they should tell him the same too.

I think no matter how old we are we always want somekind of approval from others, doesn't matter if we do totally opposite still we want something and about you getting ready for the reunion, we all try our best to make others see the best side of us and by reading just one post on your blog I think no matter what you will wear they will all love you so much.. no be happy & enjoy..

And your hubby is sooo lucky to have you:-)

Artnavy said...

Ten yrs of knowing my spouse and still I hanker for his approval- completely identify with your post and I am sure he ADORES you for what you are

Dreamer said...

@ Moi..
yeah "just-married" blues are many, but thankfully I get through all of them :)
@ twisted DNA
I am sure u and ur wife must make a gr8 pair, I just love ur blog and keep going there.. all ur posts strike such a chord.
@ Mommyof2
I think ur so right about seeking approval.. itz something some of us are born with a need for
@artnavy
I sure hope he does (infact I think I know so ).... :D that alone keeps me going :)

Kanishk | कनिष्क said...

hmm...interesting post..!!!

Kunal said...

cos you're human...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.