Pages

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Labyrinth.... by Kate Moss..............

When I first saw this book in London airport, the summary in the book jacket caught my eye and I knew I had to read this book. I was fascinated by the fact that it binds the lives of two women born centuries apart. So when I came back to US I made it a point to read few reviews on the book. Well, since Labyrinth is essentially a religious thriller with focus on Holy Grail comparison to the Da Vinci code is inventible. As a result most of the reviews weren’t really promising.

But for me, I was interested to actually see how the story shuttles back and forth between eras. I wanted to see if the author could do it successfully and stand on its own merit as a religious thriller. Well, as usual my curiosity got better for me and I spend my dollars on buying a hardcover version of the book (read $$$$$).

Armed with a desire to read, I turned one page after another and before I knew I was turning the last few pages of the book. While Labyrinth doesn't move with quite the frenetic pace of Dan Brown's thriller it still manages to keep you hooked. Many reviews complained of it being long slow read, but I think of it as being more involved. I love the way it has been written, seamlessly segueing the movement between time….almost effortlessly tailoring two lives in different centuries. Of course, the end wasn’t as spectacular as I expected……….. however, for me it was a complex, intricately plotted, century spanning tale (words borrowed from one of the reviews, it was so apt that I couldn’t resist using it!)

Beware: This is not a book for historical buffs and for those seeking more information on Holy Grail. It is an interesting read only if you take it for what it is – Fiction…..

1 comment:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

u actually found time to read a book with all thats happening in ur universe???? u amaze me, aparna!!!!i felt stupid reading the blog: i with nth to do currently read not more than 10 pages of the novel i absolutelty am in love with!!!!!