Pages

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A bend around the corner ......

Life takes a strange turn at times and sometimes when it does you wonder to your self “Why me?”. But with time you realize that that turn, that bend around the corner actually did good things for you.

Long time ago, when my mom (being a typical Indian mom) started harping me about getting married I had to give in and tell her “Ok do whatever you want”. And with that one sentence began the search for the eligible bachelor. With arranged marriages prevalent in India this was not something out of ordinary, and I was resigned to being with someone who was my parent’s choice. I was requested (rather asked) to speak to one guy whose family my parents liked a lot. Well, he turned out to be such a major jerk that I was left wondering about the Indian guys in general. I just spoke to him once, but that once was enough to shatter my illusions about “Nice, good-family Boys” Every minute I had spend talking to him felt like I was attending some interview. Blah! With each growing minute I wanted to strangle that neck of his!

At that point in my life, I was sure I would end up with some jerk or with someone who would not share my ideologies. I am ashamed to admit it, but I was prepared to face disappointment and make the best of what I had.

But after this episode ……when one of my very good friends admitted to having affections for me, I decided (unlike the other times) to explore this further. I thought to myself “Here is someone I genuinely like, admire and already care for, why not see if he makes things roll for me?” and now I am going to get married to this person in a months time. I am the happiest I have ever been. He has turned out to be everything I could ever ask for in a guy. And he does make my world brighter, more colorful. I admit initially when we started dating, I wasn’t sure and was certainly not in love with him. I had previously never believed in mixing friendship with dating. For me it started out rather casually, I didn’t want to get married so soon, I wanted to just date and see how things went. However fate had something planned for me already….. The more I got to know him, the more I like him and before I knew it I was deeply involved. April 30th is when I am getting married and believe me when I say “I can’t wait to be with him”.

Today, I face the possibility of my defense and hence my graduation being postponed by another month. And somewhere deep down in my heart I believe (have to believe) that this may be just another bend around the corner ………………………………

2 comments:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

stay happy n in love :)

Anonymous said...

well written. blog hopping landed me to you page

Lucky him !! when i expressed my affections to my friend, she treated me like a sinner :).

Anyways. enjoy ..