Pages

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sonia Gandhi.....hmmmm... I have a lot to say about her!

I personally have never been a big fan of Sonia Gandhi and I truly believe that a country like ours should be ruled by a person born and brought up in India. However, I have to admit that the current “office of profit” controversy dodging the Indian politics makes me wanna reevaluate my opinion about Ms. Gandhi. I thought of her to be a political green horn, who had come to helm just because she married into the Gandhi family. But by resigning from the Lok Shaba, as well as from National Advisory Council she has just managed to mum her detractors. I have to admire the way she has handled the whole issue. By giving up two major positions of power in last two years (first not becoming the PM and now this) she has certainly bought back congress into limelight. I think of this decision as rather strategic one aimed with bringing a wave in favor of congress.

Of course it is now a well known fact that power actually resides with Sonia Gandhi. Initially, by giving up the Prime ministership, she made headlines and gained sympathy of a large chunk of Indian population. However, even though we have Dr. Manmohan Singh at helm, the Indian cabinet is expected to read the signals from 10 Janpath (where Sonia resides) and act accordingly. Hence in making that very sacrifice which enhanced her status, she became a political big-wig.

Now with her resignation, she has again shown that she does know how to handle the political pawn very ably. With the chaos in Indian parliament regarding the proposed ordinance, her decision to resign not only saves her embarrassment but also allows her to gain political mileage again. Again, the whole country is hailing her resignation as “Yet another sacrifice”. However, I am surprised that very few actually think of this decision as one aimed to have an impact.

The bottom line is that Sonia Gandhi is adept at the political arena, and her strategic planning certainly deserves kudos. Whether or not it will help our country is a completely different issue….letz wait and watch!

3 comments:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

soniya gandhi..........mama mia!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Aparna,
I was attempting to revise my comment and wound up deleting it. I was wanting to say that I have a lot of respect for Ms. Gandhi...very strong, intelligent and powerful woman.