Pages

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

BEWARE-- This is my take on Indian politics at the moment!!!!

“Natwar Singh resigns” proclaims the Indian headline for the day. No surprises there, ever since the allegations against him for Iraq’s oil-for-food program this has been a much expected move. And the fact that it is another big official at the helm of the scandal in India comes as no surprise either (Laloo-fodder scam…etc etc). With BJP creating an ruckus at the parliament it was just a matter of time before Natwar Singh stepped down and now that he has done so, I can’t help but wonder what new scene would the opposition need to disrupt the proceedings yet again. Of course I agree that the Volcker committee's revelations brought disrepute to the country and in Advani’s own words “Disrepute is due to the fact that beneficiaries of the international scam are running the government at the Centre”. I agree that the guilty needs to be punished and I am in complete accordance with the opposition screaming “murder”! But what I really don’t understand is that what the NDA was doing in January 2004 when it first came to know about congress’s involvement with the oil-for-food. BJP of course denies having prior knowledge but well as the saying goes “there is no smoke without fire”, I fail to understand why the NDA government did not act then? Was it ‘coz they wanted their regime to be smooth or mabbe they didn’t want to stir hornet’s nest before the elections! Anyways the point is that no political party actually raises a voice for the country they r supposed to serve! The arguments are dished out and the opinions loudly voiced only when the party see’s some political mileage. I know this scenario holds good for political parties all over the world…. But somehow when it comes to the Indian politics the hypocrisy seems to be more evident! I know I am back lashing and stating opinion about something which I admit to having just layman’s knowledge of, but well, aren’t the policies and working of the political parties meant for layman! I may not be right, I know that my comprehension about the whole “hypocrisy in Indian politics” may be a bit skewed, but I also know that I am still hoping for more refined politics to gain stronghold. Politics will always be a game with no rules, nothing can change that, but I hope with time as more and more educated people gain entry to the political arena, our Indian politics may perhaps grow to be more subtle and less “noisy”. Well, who knows this may yet become a reality…. After all miracles never cease to happen!

3 comments:

Kanishk | कनिष्क said...

OMG, this post is in strong contradiction to the main theme of this blog i.e. Relationships, Introspection & blah blah.

Anyway, exceptions r always there....so accepted this time

Anonymous said...

But I guess all humans are Hypocrites at one level... But it is all again about getting us above all this... A native amaerican wisdom says

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time."
When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, "The one I feed the most."
So lets hope that we all humans start feeding the good dog and write a new chronicle...

Balaji Chandra Venkata

Anonymous said...

awesome post....