Pages

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Freud Theory


Today long after that little cajoling from my dearest I decided the time had finally come for me to look up on the “Freudian” theory. Frankly I expected it to be one of those really YAWN theories floating around. But to my surprise once I started reading about it I haven’t been able to stop. What really fascinates me is Freud’s argument that there is a large part of the mind that can’t be consciously known; and it is this unconscious part of the mind has an impact on human behavior. Wow.. doesn’t that sound cool? Well, if u do think about it a lil’ more u would realize that it is in more ways than one true. I am sure that all of us have at some point taken unconscious decisions which directly reflect on us. What about our “Mr. Conscious” who decides to kick in at the oddest time possible? Wouldn’t all that signify a presence of the unconsciousness portion of our mind which plays a major role in defining what we are and how we act? Well, there have been arguments supporting and criticizing the theory but no one can deny that it was Freud’s theory at the turn of century which set basis for psychoanalysis. Of course I wouldn’t wanna comment anymore about it simply ‘coz I don’t really know enough (Though I intend to)!!. And before I continue in my quest to know more about it lemme give u some fodder for thought in Freud’s own words :
“"Look into the depths of your own soul and learn first to know yourself, then you will understand why this illness was bound to come upon you and perhaps you will thenceforth avoid falling ill."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freud was a fraud. He was a big time MCP!! He also gave us the term Penis-envy- supposedly women subconsciously envy a man having a penis and we are 'penisless beings'. Thanks but no thanks, I DO NOT want to have something dangling between my legs, which also has a mind of its own. Freud is a big name in psychology but a lot of his theories are now proving wrong......

Anonymous said...

Aparna Freud's psychoanalytical theory of "EGO" , the Ed, Ego and Superego is a better read, and something Sigmund freud is better known for. I studied Freud for over 5 years......try your hand at it. :-)) Enjoi !

Leesa said...

sizzlingtree: I don't think Freud was a fraud, but I never bought into the penis-envy thing either. Most men tend to want to place their thingie between my legs; I don't want the appendage permanently attached!

On a more serious note, I have heard that Frued's theory of early childhood traumas' purported effects on personality development had little empirical evidence to support the causal relationship, but he did so much research, not all of it flawed.