Pages

Monday, September 05, 2005

Hmm... A lil' about "Potter"

I know this may not be in the current affairs.. But I just spent a few hours in my long weekend watching all 3 "Harry Potter" movies.. infact just got off seeing the last one. Now that I have read all the "Potter" books and seen all the movies I couldn't help but draw some parallels between them and now the very famous Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings". Would it be wrong to say that there is a great bit of similarity between the "dead eaters, nazuoll " n' "dementors"? And what about "house elves" n' "gollum" both potrayed as small pitiable things speaking in third person. Infact when you think of it even "Sauron" and "Voldermont" seem to have undeniable similarity of being the "dark lord" who want their shape back. I am sure there are many more such ones but it is not my intention to degrade Ms.Rowling's writing.
On contrary I think she is absolutely brilliant in her writing and creativity making of us "muggles" (including me) await the seventh book. Nevertheless I refuse to give her full points for originality and I would say some of it is inspired. Of course, I do know there is constant debate about who is better Rowling or Tolkein? Well, personally I think both are a class by themselves. But given a choice I would anyday be partial to Tolkein not only 'coz he was the first with such a fascinating idea of "other world" but also, 'coz his imagination and skills are so phenomenal that it could inspire anyone ..Including (perhaps unintentionally so) "Rowling". Well, the we can debate about it and everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but, I truly think that to a person who has read both the works it would be very evident who is the master and who the student.
Meanwhile as the world debates abt it ..... I would just like to be "Hermonie" the gustiest witch with a whole lotta attitude and looks..... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oye-apna spelling aur grammer toh check kar liya karo. And I AM HERMIONE! The greatest witch in the world! NO ONE CAN BE ME! Muahahhahahahahahah. :D

Kanishk | कनिष्क said...

You need to check ur post closely b4 posting. All these ...., &, !!! are acceptable but not grammar mistakes n typos..esp from YOU ..!!!
I dunno much abt Harry Potter characters, but the kind of characters I know of, I'd say I am Super Commando Dhruv !!!
These all phoren stuff is OHT for me..I am still into Nagraj, dhruv, Tauji, chahcha chaudhary,Ram-Rahim etc.