Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2005

What does USA make??

A few weeks earlier I ordered an item worth 10 dollars off the net and after I had ordered I would go back home eagerly hoping to find the package snugly waiting for me. But alas! It took itz own sweet time arriving and I assumed (rather logically I think) that this delay was due to the onslaught of our now famous hurricane “Katrina” in and around the area of my residence. Finally yesterday when I had all but assumed the package to be lost somewhere in transition I got it (Hurray!!) but along with the package also came the realization that the reason for this delay of over a month may not lay entirely with madam Katrina. Would u believe it when I say that an item worth just 10 dollars was shipped all the way from Malaysia? My roommate who received the package was all but dying of curiosity to know what I had received from of all the far off places in world “Malaysia.”. Imagine her contrite when she realized it was just a simple “non-exotic” everyday life thing!!

Well, this suddenly inspired me to look at everything I had bought ever since I came to US of A (of course in this 20% was due to pure inspiration and the rest was due to sheer joblessness on my part) And this put forth a surprising discovery. Amongst the things which I had amassed here in past 2 years not a single …lemme reemphasize not a single tinne-winne thing was “MADE IN USA”. Most of the stuff was invariably made in China (no surprises there), and almost of my dresses were either made in Mexico or hold your breath ......“Vietnam”. My favorite skirt (one of my first Gap purchases) sported the proud label of “made in India” (my sweet country) and all my shoes have the label “Made in Taiwan”

But hey I am not here to give you an list of all things I owe rather I just wanted to share something which I have been thinking ever since “is anything made in US of A at all??” and also “why does US find it cheaper to export these things rather than make it here?” . To satisfy this curiosity I dug deeper and found to my surprise that most of these countries which exported to US had one thing common amongst them. All of them have developing private or non-state sector, there is marked price liberalization in their domestic market, and there is relaxation of government control and central planning, privatization of state-owned enterprises, and development of the legal framework for private business. Plus the biggest advantage of all “low price labor”. Indeed I had finally understood the meaning of the word “Globalization” and understood how these countries could make a profit by shipping even things worth just 10 bucks all the way to US. But, I am still trying to get a grip on understanding how the US economy and its people benefit from this “globalization” ‘coz as I see it from a layman’s perspective it seems like a lot of industry right here in US of A may have its sales effected and a lot of jobs lost if this trend of “market liberalization” continues to paw more and more fields. I am sure as I read more I may feel like a fool for not understanding the long term “benefits” of importing….well almost everything from another country meanwhile all help on this topic will be appreciated and hey I really would love to know “What does US make?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

War?

Anonymous said...

To answer your question Aparna, some of the finest things made in USA are
1. Hollywood movies
2. Great software
and for further information go to......

http://www.buyamericanmart.com/

Aparna since am a student of economics I would like to add one more point.
It is a known fact that most of the goods are made in developing or less developed countries, but the quality standards and benchmarks for product design and testing are set up by the American companies.
Moreover being an Indian myself, and a bit of a patriot, Indian goods available in India are not very superior. The quality is incissently poor and has no regulated standard. So thats why sometimes I say" Hats off to the US" for business management theories,economics and proving to the rest of the world that quality precedes quantity !!!
-Anjali

Kanishk | कनिष्क said...

USA make people out of themselves..!! It gives the opportunity to everyone to utilize their own talent and demonstarte their skills.

Thats why people like you and me and loads of others come here..dream to come here..aspire to come here..strive to come here and even there are lots who feel proud of being here.

Now dont say:- "I was not aspiring or striving to come to US". the fact is that we are immigrants and are proud of being so !

Anonymous said...

Anjali....
I agree with you about the US buisness management skills, they r undoubtly that and more.
:)